High Water Flood Talks Brighton
Time & Location
About the Event
Lake Ontario reached unprecedented levels in 2017 and 2019, causing severe flooding and erosion along our shores and wetlands. While we are all hoping for the best, 2020 flood forecasts demand our attention.
Mayor Ostrander and Brighton Council will be hosting an educational event regarding Lake Ontario water levels, Water Management Policy (Plan 2014), and Emergency Flood Preparedness. This event will feature formal presentations from invited speakers, as well as an open forum for the public to ask questions, speak about their experiences and share their thoughts.
Did high water levels affect your property or business in 2017 or 2019? Are you equipped for potentially higher water levels in the spring of 2020? What can we do now?
Agenda (subject to change):
1. Welcome from the Mayor (6:00 – 6:10 pm)
2. Plan 2014 and how it impacts Lake Ontario, Sarah Delicate, United Shoreline Ontario (6:10 – 6:50 pm)
3. Exploring the 2020 Flood Forecast, P. Eng Bernie Gigas, New York (6:50 – 7:10pm)
4. Emergency Flood Preparedness, Fire Chief Rick Caddick (7:10 – 7:25 pm)
5. Flood Mitigation, Janet Noyes, Lower Trent Conservation Authority (7:25-7:40pm)
6. Elected Officials Address, TBD (7:40 pm - 8:00 pm)
7. Public Q&A, open discussion (8:00 – 8:30 pm)